Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift Part 1

Imagine yourself surrounded by tiny, tiny people (about 6 inches high) for just a second (because that's all you need to think of such a ludicrous thought). And then imagine thinking that you're the odd one and that they are normal-sized. Crazy, right? This is exactly what Lemuel Gulliver encounters on his travels. He first ventures to Lilliput which, like the name suggests, is a funny place; people six inches tall occupy this realm.

This satirical and classical piece of literature by Jonathon Swift struck me as very odd at first, and I didn't enjoy it. Now, that I think about it, it's because I didn't really read it that well. This is the kind of book that would be read in class. It has so much symbolism and historical context. Reading it freely, without the hassle of daily analysis and tedious homework makes it all the better. Gulliver is a very gullible person and he's an unreliable narrator who tells of his journey to four places including Lilliput. I think it's a good book, but I've decided to drop it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home