Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Blogging Experience (First Quarter Blogging Review)

Looking it Over:
Looking over all my blogs, I do notice a unifying theme: I usually talk about the title or cover of the book. It's no wonder though because I really do judge books by their covers (and titles for that matter). Experience has taught me that the books, movies, and articles with the most interesting and thought-provoking covers and titles happen to be the best. No, it doesn't have to have the flashiest cover or such a tongue twister of a title that you can't even read it. It just has to be simple. Simply creative. Okay, the correlation between title/cover creativity and the actual likability of whatever I read/watch is so scattered, but those few movies and books that I will forever remember just happen to have the most creative and though-provoking titles and covers. I mean, who wants to read a book called This Girl Died and I'm Trying to Find Out How (Looking for Alaska sounds a tad better) or I'm in the Adult Psychiatric Hospital Because...(It's Kind of a Funny Story sparks my interest just a little more) and I don't think I'd be compelled to read a book with a black and white cover with small lettering saying that the book is about economics (Freakonomics' apple/orange is pretty cool). I think that the title/cover thing will be a recurring focus in blogs to come, so be ready!

Besides that trend, I found myself being critical of all the books in some way, shape or form. That was surprising because I usually see the good side of the book rather than the bad, but through these blogs, I was able to express the tiny hints of discontent that I don't think I would have been able to express otherwise. This blogging experience has proved to be a good one albeit a little tedious.

Goals for the Future:
As a blogger of my reading experiences, I hope to let the word out about these books to my peers. I would improve my descriptions a little more because they seem to be lacking. For the most part, they are clear, but the detail is not as full as is necessary to convey to readers whether the book is worth the read. I actually am interested in what I have to say, but sometimes it varies on what book I am blogging about. I try to make it more interesting than the black-and-white "This is what happens" by mentioning those little tidbits of my reading style (titles/covers). I want to make connections, inferences, predictions and point out symbolism in blogs to come.

By the way:
Congrats to the 2009 World Series Champions (27 all time :))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home