Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini Part 2

Since my last post, I've made a lot of progress in the book. Although I'm still enjoying it very much, It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini is yet to impress. I've learned more about Craig Gilner since last post. He still strives for simplicity and uses odd terminology, but now, I know that ever since he got into Executive Pre-Professional High School, he's been depressed. He's depressed because he's just average in this ultra-smart school. He had always believed that he was some sort of genius, but now he realizes it's only because he's worked so hard. Some people, like his pot-smoking best friend Aaron, don't have to do anything to do well. Craig is in such a bad state as of late that he plans to commit suicide by jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. On "the day", he decides instead to call the suicide hotline and ends up checking himself into a hospital. That is when his journey begins.

I think that the plot is very intriguing and the characters even more so. I really feel for Craig, but I never believed for one second that he would actually kill himself or even try. He just likes to talk. His talks are very profound though, like this one:

"I'm going to do it tonight. This is such a farce, this whole thing. I thought I was better and I'm not better. I tried to get stable and I can't get stable. I tried to turn the corner and there aren't any corners; I can't eat; I can't sleep; I'm just wasting resources." (126).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home