Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's Kind of a Funny Story Part 4

As I finally reached the final page of It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini, I was left with a good last impression: the feeling that there is hope out there and to enjoy the little things that you are able to do in life. I learned that the author himself spent five days in adult psychiatric--exactly like Craig. The whole book, however, seemed to lag at some points for me. I began to get bored with the book once he was checked into the hospital. It just wasn't that captivating to me, and I almost wanted to drop it. As the book went on, it got better. I think it was the last 1/4 of the book that was the most interesting. Craig finally found something that he had always been lacking: happiness. All his life, he tried to get to the next thing by studying and studying. There was never any time for him to enjoy just living and being. Instead, his one goal was to get into one of the best high schools. Once he accomplished that, it was all down-hill. His five-day experience at the adult psychiatric ward was more rewarding of an experience than his time at Executive Pre-Professional High School in Manhattan. It was at this psychiatric ward that he found his real niche: art. I think that this book taught a lot about life. You have to do what makes you happy. Don't just do something for the prestige or the recognition. Just live for yourself because that's all that's worth doing. I think that once this book got to the point, it was very good. Here are the last few lines of the book that sum it all up:
"Take these verbs and enjoy them. They're yours, Craig. You deserve them because you chose them. You could have left them all behind but you chose to stay here. So now live for real, Craig. Live. Live. Live. Live. Live." (444)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home