Thursday, March 11, 2010

It's Been a While...Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

So...it's been a while. This time around I have a really good book to share: the very popular Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. It's definitely a change from my usual (sorry Sarah Dessen, Steven D. Levitt & Steven J. Dubner!). I'm glad I did start to read this because I had tried to read it before, but stopped because I didn't think I would like it...six pages in. I had heard a lot of good reviews (not on the movie though) from my brother and my friends, but never really got a chance to interrupt my reading roll of easier realistic fiction and entertaining economics books.

In short, Angels & Demons is the story of a well-known Harvard symbologist, Robert Langdon, who gets a mysterious call in the middle of night. Little did he know, that mysterious call would alter his perspective on life and put it in danger as well. That call came from a Maximilian Kohler, director of CERN--the European Organization for Nuclear Research as well as the inventors of the internet. Awaken and frankly annoyed by the call, Langdon gets up to find a picture printing in his fax machine: a disfigured man with a perfectly symmetrical brand on him that stated the group that Langdon had researched, pondered and questioned for so long. It was the Illuminati brand and he couldn't believe it. He travels to Switzerland then to the Vatican to try to save the world--yeah, it sounds cheesy, but read it to find out what happens!

So far (I'm 265 out of 569 pages in), it is an amazing book filled with suspense, an inevitable romance, facts that would blow your mind and writing that is equally amazing. Dan Brown captivates and makes a lot of small cliffhangers and creates the illusion that there is a dead end. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a great read.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I always find your blogs entertaining and enjoyable to read! I love how you integrate humor into your writing. Even though this book is fictional, I really like how the author, Dan Brown, mixes in historical facts. For instance, when Robert Langdon is racing through Italy on his quest to save humanity, he passes by lots of important structures that are actually present in Italy. He weaves the facts into the story in a way that makes the plot even more interesting, not boring. Since you seem to enjoy this book so far, I would highly recommend The Da Vinci Code (if you haven't read it already). In addition, Dan Brown has a new book The Lost Symbol (not sure if you've already read it or not). Also, if you're looking for an action, as well as a mystery, book, you could try reading The Bourne Identity (even though you might have already seen the movie...). These are all great books because there are tons of twists and turns, which keeps the reader on his/her feet. I forgot how Angels & Demons ended (don't worry, I won't spoil the plot for you), but I'm pretty sure it had a very unexpected ending. I'm not sure if there is Latin in this book, but if there is, I'm sure you can use and practice your Latin skills :)

March 24, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home